[OT]Mac OS-X irritatingly slow on G3 pBook

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat Jun 8 03:18:15 UTC 2002

Now that I finally have OS-X on my pBook I'm getting really annoyed by
the stunning slowness of many operations. My pBook may be a couple of
years old but it really ought not be glacial yet!

For example opening a reply to mail window takes several (4-5) seconds.
Starting netscape or ie takes a looooong time. Squeak fortunately
performs the same as before, so it;s not that there is some magic
background process taking 50% cpu. In fact the process viewer never
seems to confess to more than about 40% of cpu being in use!

Oh yes, and it keeps dying in its sleep and having to be rebooted
instead of woken. The Apple suggested 'cure' of hittingthe screen
brightnes keys to kick the screeen has no effect whatsoever.

I know a bunch of squeakers have older powerbooks and so it seems there
might well be a few of you out there with similar setups and problems.

Pointers to tools to diagnose or fix these annoyances most welcome.
Buying a new faster machine like a TiBook is not a sensible answer
unless you can also provide suitable employment to make purchasing said
device plausible :-)

tim

tim at sumeru.stanford.edu