Killer Application (was: Squeak Foundation)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Jun 8 14:51:43 UTC 2002

On Saturday 08 June 2002 04:15 am, Karl Goiser wrote:

> It is my belief that Squeak's "unique" user interface means a
> killer application will never be built using it.  I cannot believe
> that anybody in their right mind would try to distribute an
> application that would look so "different" compared to the straight
> and narrow of, e.g., the Mac or Windows look and feel.

That's too strong a generalization. Just because you can't imagine
someone doing an app with Squeak that contains (for instance) data
entry forms or multiple wnidows doesn't mean that Squeak wouldn't
work just fine for some other kind of app.

For instance, I'm building a visual programming language system. So
far it doesn't have any user interface widgets other than toolbars
and context menus. No data entry forms, no Squeak windows.

How would you identify this as a Squeak app? As far as I can tell, the
same app could be done in any other language that offers GUI
capabilities.

So what do you identify as Squeak's user interface? SystemWindows and
the Pluggable* components? These could be viewed as custom objects
that support a particular application (textual Smalltalk
programming).

No one said you have to use them for your app.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com