Killer Application (was: Squeak Foundation)

Diego Gomez Deck DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com
Sat Jun 8 20:02:54 UTC 2002

Hello,

<imho>
The "problem" is that we are talking about squeak from 2 different points
of view.

1) Squeak as the Dynabook engine.
2) Squeak as a "standard" developer tool.

The main goal of SqC is the 1.  Most of the persons in the list share this
goal. Other people see Squeak just like 2. And others (like me) think that
1 and 2 are an unique goal.

Squeak has *really* good support for 1, and not so good support for
2.  There are a lot of people working in 2 (examples: seaside, odbc for
squeak, zurgle, comanche, rST, GemSqueak, etc).  Right now, squeak has
*really* good support for 2 for web applications, but many works if needed.

SqC, from my point of view, has no interest (or not a big one) in 2.  This
is a good reason to put SqF on the road. Squeak has a big potential to
become the best tool for 2 requirements, but many work is needed.
</imho>

Just my 2 cents,

Diego Gomez Deck