Killer Application (was: Squeak Foundation)

Karl Goiser kgoiser at bigpond.net.au
Sun Jun 9 02:41:13 UTC 2002

Hi Gary,

I don't have any argument with you about the relative quality of
various GUI's.  My problem with Squeak is that its is _different_ and
there are some very well established user interface principles about
similarity, predictability and learning that means that switching
between <insert your os here> and Squeak just won't do.

(I was recently in the USA for Apple's WWDC.  I am an Aussie, so I
had to think about some of the most mundane things in order to get on
with what I wanted to do because so many things were the opposite to
what I was used to: light switches were 'upside down', sink taps
turned the 'wrong way' - and I had to be so careful when crossing
streets because cars drove on the 'wrong side of road'.)

I don't have an argument with the Squeak user interface - I think it
is really good to have something like this where research can be done
- I just wish there were something just like Squeak that used <insert
your os here> as well.

Look at it from a newcomer's point of view: Squeak has a wonderful
language, a great library (viewable in source too) and an unsurpassed
development environment, but how are they going to find out about
those things if they can't get past the idiosyncratically unique user
interface?

In my opinion, you get more users to Squeak by showing them a better
way to achieve their goals, not another planet to live on.  (Ok, some
users will want to live on another planet, and that is fine too).

Karl

--
----
Klaatu barada nikto    (http://www.wattle.net/klaatu.wav)