Killer Application (was: Squeak Foundation)

Matthew McCowan Matthew_McCowan at littlehoop.cc
Sat Jun 8 21:13:03 UTC 2002

On 6/8/02 3:13 PM, "Jim Benson" <jb at speed.net> wrote:

> Matthew,
>

>> Linux works because of the Unix tradition.  C++, Java, and Perl add
>> to the C family.
>
>>  I still wish Squeak had a bridge back to normal
>> programmers.  It looks so alien.  It has its own rules.  I really,
>> really want to use it more, but I could never ship anything in it.
>> I would violate the common experience of my users, I would have to
>> provide more training.  I would love to do it, but I can't see the
>> benefit in the additional education.  What does the Technicolor
>> interface bring to the table?  Why can't the windows act like native
>> windows?
>>

> If you're looking to ship traditional desktop product, I would think that
> the commercial Smalltalk vendors have adequate products to meet this need.
> Certainly on the Windows side, Dolphin is a nice product at a very
> reasonable price point.
>
> Personally, I think that war is already lost. However, if you're looking to
> do web app/server stuff, read the excellent article:
>
> http://www.paulgraham.com/icad.html
>
> You can rule that world with a Squeak based solution.
>
> I took your advice to heart, and hacked up something this morning similar to
> your request for a desktop Squeak.
>
> It starts at:
>
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2286
>
> Jim

Its not so much the traditional app shipping.  Looking at what I
sent I spent a little too many sentences on it.  I guess what bugs
me is the lack of respect for the operating system I chose.  Maybe
it is impossible for a cross-platform application to feel like all
the platforms it runs on and maybe it would kill the speed at which
versions of Squeak are available on each platform, but it feels
wrong.  I like Squeak (despite the postings), I just have this
one thing stuck in my head.  I am sure it will fade.

Matt
(really nice hack by the way, cool screens, have to see if it possible to
get Mac like)