[SF]VM building project third report

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun Jun 9 03:19:29 UTC 2002

This is the third report for the VM building project.

Progress has been considerable since the last report; the VMMaker
codebase is now in the update stream and is part of the 3.2 system. All
major platforms can now use VMMaker and anyone wanting to deal with any
of the other platforms (is anyone still caring for DOS, BeOS, OS/2,
Amiga, Nintendo, MSX, Commodore C64, Sinclair ZX-81 etc etc?) need only
ask for help.

Work is still needed in a few areas, predominantly the CVS toolsets.

sqCVS can (so far as I understand it right now; Goran, please add
details if you so desire) fetch files from SourceForge but not yet
commit them. We could do with tools to help with producing branches,
merging dooberries, diffing thingummies and so on. Some of these things
are pretty difficult in plain cvs and I'm convinced we could provide a
much nicer UI with Squeak.

I think it would be nice to handle the ProgressInitiationException
raised by the assorted CCodeGenerator methods to display the progress in
a neat morph inside the VMMakerTool.

Recent work on putting the VM global variables in a structure has shown
some promise for some platforms and so the tools will need to be able to
specify whether or not to use this facility.

tim

tim at sumeru.stanford.edu