[SF]VM building project third report

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jun 10 16:12:10 UTC 2002

Ian Piumarta <ian.piumarta at inria.fr> wrote:

>(In particular, the "makeMakefileFragsAndProveFermatsLastTheorem"
> scripts are irrelevant to [and ignore entirely by] my build process --
> which I hope is now infinitely simpler than anything that grew out of
> the original "unholy 3.1 mess".)

The system on SourceForge is better in two ways:

	1. It avoids recursive make.  All the make rules are combined into a
single Makefile at the top level.  I'm baffled at why people are
resistent to this, except that the Unix tradition is to do it otherwise.

	2. It generates makefiles from scripts instead of requiring
hand-written files.  In fact, the bulk of the makefiles in Ian's release
are already generated from scripts, so I shouldn't need to list the
advantages.  What is so strange about going all the way?

Both systems are equally complicated.  Perhaps there is a lack of
understanding?  There are docs now in CVS that explain it all -- look
for "BUILD.details" in the Unix area.  It doesn't have any design rationale,
but it does describe what is present currently.

Lex