Killer Application (was: Squeak Foundation)

Ricardo Bánffy rbanffy at utopia.com.br
Mon Jun 10 13:24:11 UTC 2002

I think I should absorb some of the blame for all of this
misunderstanding about native windows and widgets.

What I meant is that it could be useful to make Squeak generate native
windows IN ADDITION TO Squeak windows. I would not want to change the
way the Squeak environment works, but, if we are to use Squeak to
general development we should be able to present a platform-comformant
look and feel. The World menu, like all Squeak environment menus, should
go where it makes sense.

Someone - sorry not to recall the name - pointed out we are discussing
two different things: the Squeak environment per se and ths use of
Squeak as a general purpose development tool. Emulation may chage the
way the Squeak environment itself behaves while platform native widgets
would allow developers to present native GUIs outside the Squeak
environment. I was talking about the later scenario, where native GUI
comformance is more important than cross-platform comformance.

That is also why I said this later functionality should not be emulated
inside Squeak but that we could tap the efforts already done on some
cross-platform GUI toolkit like wxWindows (runs on MacOS 8 thru X,
Windows and Unix) to generate native presentation. Emulation is a huge
effort, but it always risks being out-of-sync with the most current
native GUI fashion (MS, for one, embedded half of the Windows XP
interface inside Office XP. It looks XP-ish under Win2K and Apple's
Steve Jobs has thrown away the least-possible-noise mantra he used at
NeXT favoring the ultra noisy X interface). Altough we should not
overlook the possibility emulation brings to "fine tune" or change the
"flavour" of the Squeak environment itself - this migh prove to be a
very interesting endeavour in itself.

I am not familiar enough with Squeak to say if these are stupid ideas or
viable things or how something like it could be integrated with
mainstream Squeak, so, I rely on smarter people to answer the questions.