inisqueak for Unix

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jun 11 15:03:02 UTC 2002

David Farber <dfarber at numenor.com> wrote:

> Attached is my modified version of inisqueak for Unix. I really love being able to just create a new directory, cd into it and type 'inisqueak'. But, for some reason, I usually prefer to download new images rather than get updates from the update stream.
>
> So what I'd /really/ like to be able to do is just dump new images into /usr/local/lib/squeak and have inisqueak install the latest .image (and .changes) it finds.
>
> The attached inisqueak does just that. I'm not sure that it necessarily does it in a portable way, though, so caveat emptor.

It's cool that such a little issue gets so much attention.  But if it's
not addressed, it can lead to awkwardness forever!

I don't see an big difference between Ian's proposal and mine, so long
as you name the different inisqueak's with a version suffix, and then
make a symbolic link the prefered inisqueak.  (Or, if you only have one
image installed at a time, you can use simply "inisqueak").

David's is different, though.  For people not using Squeak packages, it
sounds very nice indeed just to scan and find the most recent image!

I would add, however, that it is also nice if administrators can
explicitly set the image that is to be used.  So, maybe in addition to
scanning the directory, a special name could be used to trump all the
others if it is present?  That is, if there is a "squeak.image" in
/usr/local/share/squeak (or wherever), then that file will be used, and
otherwise David's scanning code will be used?

Incidentally, I don't think it's critical that inisqueak offers
alternatives.  It is best to focus on rank newbies who are just trying
out Squeak on a whim, I think.  A lot of people might fire "inisqueak"
from  a menu item just to see what it's like, when they wouldn't read
all of "man squeak" in order to see how to arrange files by hand.

Lex