best XML parser

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Wed Jun 12 01:04:17 UTC 2002

On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Rob Whitfield wrote:

[snip]
> I think my problem has more to do with documentation (or lack of it).
>
> Are you familiar with YAXO

Yes. Indeed, I'm using it rather heavily for my current (to be wrapped
up) job. No need for namespaces thank goodness.

> and the example cases provided? In particular
> the example:
>
>          XMLDOMParser parseDocumentFromFileNamed: 'examples\dream.xml'.
>
> When I set a "halt"  in parseDocumentFrom: method of the XMLDOMParser class
> and examine class variables I don't see anything remotely like a
> hierachical structure representing the XML elements.

I assume you have the relevant file.

Of course, examining the *class* variables won't do a thing for you. No
class variable will, or should, hold instance data ;)

Try "do it"ing the following in a workspace:

   (XMLDOMParser parseDocumentFromFileNamed: 'examples\dream.xml') explore

(Or taking your line and hidding alt/cmd-I.)

I hope it's this simple :) If it is, you need a Smalltalk, not an XML,
tutorial first. If not, I guess another round of email is in order :)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.