[VI4] re: numbered primitives (was "Forked Squeak version")

Andreas Raab Andreas.Raab at gmx.de
Wed Jun 12 01:13:07 UTC 2002

> > ...since we have named primitives sorted out these days, maybe we
> > should drop the nonsense of trying to allow thousands of numbered
> > ones.
>
> 	Yeah! I'd love to get the numbered primitives down to
> an absolute minimum (zero would be nice :).

While I agree on general principles I'd advise to run a few benchmarks
first. The overhead of calling named primitives is not to be
underestimated for cases like SmallInteger>>+ or Stream>>next and
similar. Also, making all primitives named might have various negative
implications for any JIT compilation.

Cheers,
  - Andreas