World Creation (& Nebraska)

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Fri Jun 14 03:22:18 UTC 2002

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:14:01 -0600 "Kyle Bygott" <Henry.Bygott at colorado.edu> wrote:
>Well, I'm not all that good at Squeak, especially the inner workings.  But
>inspecting the subworld's canvases there seems to be a problem: It has none!
>Canvas is nil, let alone having a second remote canvas.  Where do canvases
>normally get setup (for instance where does World get its?)  I tried hacking
>some just to see if I could get a hack working, but couldn't get the
>innerworld to set up any canvases properly.  Everything seems to be all
>right with the hands...
>
>Who is in charge of assigning/creating canvases??

Kyle,

Inner worlds will not have their own canvas. They will be drawn instead on the canvas provided by the World of which they are part, just like any other morph. It is only the outer World that has an explicit canvas. If you are interested in experimenting in this area, I would suggest writing (carefully!) a #fullDrawOn: method for PasteUpMorph that

- if it is not the outer World
- and if it has a worldState with a remoteServer then

use a MultiCanvas as a substitute for the supplied canvas when you send super fullDrawOn:.

Cheers,
Bob