[VI4] re: image version number (was "Forked Squeak version")

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sat Jun 15 17:27:19 UTC 2002

"Duane Maxwell" <dmaxwell at san.rr.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

>   In particular, I would think that Character would be a good
> candidate.
It's probably not worth worrying about Character because there's only
the 256 if them; unless of course somebody is about to implement
unicode!

The real candidates for compact class status are anything that is
common and very likely to be of suitable small size. Quite a few of the
common collection classes might be considered. It would probably be
worth having a class for ByteCodeArray and making it compact -
especially for VI4 where blocks have their own bytecode arrays, so there
are lots of them around.

Most of the high frequency classes are already captured in thecurrent
list of compact classes, though a few like MethodChangeRecord,
ClassOrganizer etc are missing. The really good news is that altering
this doesn't need a new image format since classes can be
compactifizated (hey, I'm in the US now, I can get away with that!)
simply by using Behavior>becomeCompact et al.

tim
Computers are unreliable, but humans are even more unreliable.  - Gilb