Threads and pipes

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Jun 17 13:25:04 UTC 2002

Hi!

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 15 June 2002 08:23 am, Daniel Klein wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm relatively new with Smalltalk (but not with programming) and
> > this is my first post to this list.
> >
> > I've perused the class libraries and cannot find any direct support
> > for threads and pipes. Does Squeak have these or will I have to use
> > Smalltalk MT?

Do you mean native OS threads? In that case I think MT (and perhaps
Smalltalk/X?) are the only ones doing it. But if you mean "threads"
generally then sure, just look at class Process.

And by "pipes" I would guess you are talking about OS pipes? Then
OSProcess is probably it. We did post two Stream classes a couple of
months ago that can be used as pipes between Squeak Processes though.
:-)

regards, Göran