[GOODIE] Arithmetic assignments (+= and friends)

Diego Gomez Deck DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com
Mon Jun 17 15:08:18 UTC 2002

Hi Andreas,

>Diego,
>
>> To say the true, I don't like any option.
>
>Well, that's okay - I didn't say you have to like it (neither did I say
>you have to file it in or even to use it ;-)

I'm only trying to avoid the inclusion in the 'official' updates.

>> If you want, try to remove the assigment (the only not a
>> message thing) and not to expand it.
>
>No, I don't want to. If it's your interest to remove assignment *you* go
>for it ;-)

Not for now, We'll see in the future.

>I have no interest in any kind of minimal syntax. And the
>complexity of explaining that += means "increase this variable's value
>by X" doesn't seem a big hurdle to me.

This is not true in Smalltalk.

I read:
  a += 2.

as: Send the message #+= to the object named a and then name a to the answer.

and I feel more natural to write:

  a := a + 1.

because is more direct the translation.

  someName := SomeObject.

is translated as: 'name someName to the object to the right side'

>Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Cheers,

Diego

PS: Will We see at SqueakNic the June/22?