Building headless on unix

Colin Putney cputney at whistler.net
Tue Jun 18 05:52:04 UTC 2002

On Monday, June 17, 2002, at 07:35  PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> As Tim pointed out, this is probably bit rot. But for your purposes,
> you can probably get by just fine by using the "-headless" option when
> you run the VM. In other words, you can use a normal Unix Squeak VM
> with all the X window libraries linked into it. As long as you run
> it with the "-headless" option, none of the libraries get used, and
> everything should be fine. Happily, I do not have a Linux box with no
> X windows installed to actually confirm this, but it really should be
> OK.
>
> If that proves not to be the case, you may be stuck with fixing the
> bit rot, or figuring out how to build a static linked VM which will
> not care if the X run time libraries are installed on the target
> machine.

Bolstered by the knowledge that what I was attempting *should* work, I
went ahead and fixed the bit rot. Or at least, I made progress toward
that end. I now have a squeak binary that throws a "primitive failed"
error when initializing the network. I want to track that down before
submitting a patch...

Building squeak statically would be a good idea if I had another Linux
box with the X libraries on it. Alas I do not. It's probably just as
well - fixing the problem is the better solution anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Colin