Building headless on unix

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Jun 18 09:21:51 UTC 2002

Hi!

Tommy Thorn <tt1729 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > As long as you run
> > it with the "-headless" option, none of the
> > libraries get used, and
> > everything should be fine.
>
> They do get loaded, though.
>
> > Happily, I do not have a Linux box with no
> > X windows installed to actually confirm this,
> > but it really should be OK.
>
> Well, unset DISPLAY; squeak -headless *.image
> worked for me, but it doesn't do anything (of
> course).
>
> Incidently, is there a simple way to some
> kind of command-line workspace from squeak
> a-la Self?

A few notes:

- You could use OSProcess (check Swiki) to access stdin/stdout and quite
easily hack up a "shell". Perhaps even OSProcess has something like
that.
- You could easily build a shell using Sockets so that you can telnet
into Squeak. (I have actually thought of doing this so that our
"suicidal work" in Squeak 3.3a could be done from outside without any UI
running)
- You could install VNC on your computer and then run Squeak from within
VNC. Works like a charm given that you have another machine
(Win32/Unix/whatever) that you can use as a client.

But running Squeak without a UI is like... well. It sucks! :-)

regards, Göran