Idea to get money in Squeak community

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Tue Jun 18 23:27:11 UTC 2002

Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> said:
>I have another idea. I know that some Squeak Germany Foundation Squea=
>kers=20
>will be at ESUG and this would be a really smart to have an official=
>=20
>presentation of the Squeak G Foundation.

Note that the German thingy is an association, not a foundation. I don't think
anglosaxon countries have associations as a separate form of legal entity, or
am I wrong? Anyway, there is a difference over here (the European continent)
between an association and a foundation, they are different types of legal
entities.

Talk on the Squeak-ev also is in the direction of a presentation at
ESUG. With a bit of luck, the registration has been completed by that
time so the club can then act as a legal entity (and accept money in its
own bank account ;-)).

>I made a bet with Dave Thomas that we would get a running structure s=
>oon=20
>and he was pessimistic so we could then show that a first Squeak=20
>Foundation with modest but existing goals is there and willing to gro=
>w.

Well, I'm a bit pessimistic about SqF as well - we've missed the self-imposed
June deadline...

>I think that we should throw away all the mess around the discussion =
>of=20
>the constitution
>(because lot of people like to talk but few act- I can tell that ESUG=
> is=20
>because
>  a couple of fools are running it). We will see later when we will h=
>ave=20
>the time to discuss philosophy.

I think that discussion already is largely behind us, up to the point where a
couple of fools indeed need to stand up and incorporate whatever you need to
incorporate in the USofA for a foundation (and in whatever state is most
profitable ;-)). I heard that the bylaws stay flexible for quite some time
during incorporation, if so we can indeed move that discussion to priority 2.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo