[IDEA] Gtk2.0 and Squeak in the 'real boring world'

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Thu Jun 20 01:07:17 UTC 2002

On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 08:00:20PM -0300, Nahuel Greco wrote:
[snip]

> An "advanced" feature can be the possibility of using "Squeak areas" as
> GTK custom widgets inside GTK applications (stupid example: draw a chart
> using morphic in that Squeak area, inside a boring GTK financial app),
> but I don't know the feasibility of this.
>
> Other option is to add multi window capabilities to Squeak and write a good and
> boring widget library :)

Hmm...what I've been dreaming of is "simply" the ability to open Morphs outside
of the main Squeak window.  In X11 I imagine you'd do this in straight Xlib,
I suppose....and then create some invisible analog to the WorldMorph that would
overlay the regular desktop...  In the X11 world they'd have to at least
be able to manage themselves (a-la XMMS), and optionally allow themselves
to be managed by the resident window manager.

Imagine Squeak (with externalized Morphs) being used as the basis of new
and wonderful graphics toolkits...  but that's just my fantasy for now!

I believe there was an attempt at creating both Qt and GTK+ bindings for
Squeak a few years back...it was called "TalkTalk"...I don't believe the
author finished it.  It is an attractive idea, however...sounds like
a job for a plugin!