Advice - module vs plugin

Jason Dufair jase at purdue.edu
Fri Jun 21 18:58:33 UTC 2002

For the next step in building STOMP (SMalltalk Object-based Media
Player), I need to have a means of reading ID3 tags (v1 and v2) that may
be attached to mp3 files.  What I'm wondering is this:  Would I be
better off building this support in Smalltalk in the image as a module
(and if so, can I please put it in whatever module Mpeg3File is in?) or
should I build it as a plugin, taking advantage of the existing C
library?  Arguments in either direction would be welcome.

Also, could someone give me an update on how we're doing with "High
Quality Font Support"?  I checked out the Swiki and the support for
FreeType looks super cool.  Are there any plans for including this in
the image and/or modularizing this?  Just wondering.  Since my only
output is going to be a TV screen, I'll need nice large anti-aliased
fonts.  If this is in the works and just needing labor, I'd be willing
to put it on my plate.

--
Jason Dufair
Office of the VP for Information Technology
jase at purdue.edu
765-496-1185 - fax: 765-496-7409