Getting at Mac OS X fonts?

Jay Carlson nop at nop.com
Sat Jun 22 19:22:49 UTC 2002

On Saturday, June 15, 2002, at 07:41 PM, Tom Morgan wrote:

> Has anyone been down the path of making any of the very nice Mac OS X
> fonts available to Squeak?
>
> If so, I'd appreciate any pointers.

This wasn't in the context of Squeak, but I've found fondu
( http://fondu.sourceforge.net/ ) very helpful in prying standard font
files out of Mac font resources.  I don't know if Squeak's TrueType
renderer is up to the task, but it should at least be possible to run
fondu on the OS X fonts and get .ttf files out.  I had some success
working with the resulting .ttf fonts with freetype.

ICYC, I have a hacked version of fondu somewhere around here that turns
PalmOS font resources into BDF files.

Jay