[Q][Newbie] perform:orSendTo:

germanmorales at delta-sys.com germanmorales at delta-sys.com
Sat Jun 22 21:11:26 UTC 2002

Hello!

I was trying to build a little user interface using a
PluggableListMorph when I got a MessageNotUnderstood.

The problem seems to be that Object>>perform:orSendTo:
doesn't do what its selector says, but just sends the
message to the other possible target.

The implementation in my (updated) Squeak3.2 shows:

Object>>perform: selector orSendTo: otherTarget
   "If I wish to intercept and handle selector myself,
    do it; else send it to otherTarget "
   ^ otherTarget perform: selector

The fix is almost obvious:

Object>>perform: selector orSendTo: otherTarget
   ^ ((self respondsTo: selector)
         ifTrue: [self]
         ifFalse: [otherTarget])
      perform: selector

and I was even able to find another version listed here:
   http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/cs2340/14

Mi questions are:
Why this is not the current implementation?
It's just a bug or there's something else behind?
Should I send a change set with such a fix? ;-)

may the Force be with you,

German