How to ugrade an image?

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.com
Sun Jun 23 18:34:07 UTC 2002

--On Saturday, June 22, 2002 7:40 PM -0700 Jim Benson <jb at speed.net> wrote:

> Have you tried making a copy of your image, and then using the Squeak
> update server to upgrade your image from 3.0 to 3.2?

Thanks! This is just the kind of solution I was looking for!

I tried it, and the results are not so happy. I had imported some TrueType
fonts I had some objects visible at the time of the upgrade that were in
Frutiger -- 14 I think -- and they got totally mangled in appearance. I'm
still experiencing problems with this font.

Meanwhile, I still can't get Connectors to load. This is an upgrade to an
image that had an earlier version of Connectors installed. When I try to
install connectors, I get the walkback which is below. Also, I'm
experiencing a lot of differences between the way the upgraded image works
and a "vanilla" 3.2 gamma freshly downloaded. I think this may be a "theme"
issue. In the squeak flap I no longer have a preferences button (where did
that go?) and my scroll-bars are on the outside, but the newly downloaded
image they're on the inside. I assume this is a preference, but I can't
find where to change that.

Here's the walkback from trying to install Connectors:

MessageNotUnderstood: color
23 June 2002 2:06:24 pm

VM: Mac OS - Squeak3.2gamma of 15 January 2002 [latest update: #4857]
Squeak VM 3.2.7b6
Image: Squeak3.2gamma [latest update: #4653]

UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
	Receiver: nil
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		aMessage: 	a Message with selector: #color and arguments: #()
	Receiver's instance variables:
nil
Message>>sentTo:
	Receiver: a Message with selector: #color and arguments: #()
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		receiver: 	nil
	Receiver's instance variables:
		selector: 	#color
		args: 	#()
		lookupClass: 	UndefinedObject

UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
	Receiver: nil
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		aMessage: 	a Message with selector: #color and arguments: #()
	Receiver's instance variables:
nil
Message>>sentTo:
	Receiver: a Message with selector: #color and arguments: #()
	Arguments and temporary variables:
		receiver: 	nil
	Receiver's instance variables:
		selector: 	#color
		args: 	#()
		lookupClass: 	UndefinedObject

--- The rest of the stack ---
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
Message>>sentTo:
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
Message>>sentTo:
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
Message>>sentTo:
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
Message>>sentTo:
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
Message>>sentTo:
UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
TwoWayScrollPane>>colorForInsets
ScrollBar(Morph)>>insetColor
InsetBorder>>trackColorFrom:
ScrollBar(BorderedMorph)>>borderStyle
ScrollBar>>sliderColor:
ScrollBar>>initializeSlider
ScrollBar(Slider)>>extent:
ScrollBar>>extent:
ScrollBar(Morph)>>bounds:
TwoWayScrollPane>>resizeScrollBar
TwoWayScrollPane>>extent:
TwoWayScrollPane>>initialize
TwoWayScrollPane class(Morph class)>>new
TwoWayScrollPane class(MorphicModel class)>>new
NCScrolledCompositeStateMorph>>addScrollerTo:
NCScrolledCompositeStateMorph>>initialize
NCScrolledCompositeStateMorph(Morph)>>initializeToStandAlone
NCScrolledCompositeStateMorph class(Morph class)>>newStandAlone
[] in NCPartsBin class(PartsBin class)>>thumbnailForQuad:
Dictionary>>at:ifAbsent:
NCPartsBin class(PartsBin class)>>thumbnailForQuad:
[] in NCPartsBin(PartsBin)>>listDirection:quadList:buttonClass:
Array(SequenceableCollection)>>do:
NCPartsBin(PartsBin)>>listDirection:quadList:buttonClass:
NCPartsBin>>listDirection:quadList:buttonClass:
NCPartsBin class(PartsBin
class)>>newPartsBinWithOrientation:from:buttonClass:
Flaps class>>newFSMConnectorsFlap
UndefinedObject>>DoIt
Compiler>>evaluate:in:to:notifying:ifFail:
Compiler class>>evaluate:for:notifying:logged:
Compiler class>>evaluate:for:logged:
Compiler class>>evaluate:logged:
[] in StandardFileStream(PositionableStream)>>fileInAnnouncing:
BlockContext>>on:do:
[] in StandardFileStream(PositionableStream)>>fileInAnnouncing:
ProgressInitiationException>>defaultAction
ProgressInitiationException(Exception)>>signal
ProgressInitiationException>>display:at:from:to:during:
ProgressInitiationException class>>display:at:from:to:during:
String>>displayProgressAt:from:to:during:
StandardFileStream(PositionableStream)>>fileInAnnouncing:
StandardFileStream(FileStream)>>fileIn
FileList>>fileAllIn
FileList>>fileInSelection
FileList>>perform:orSendTo: