[Advocacy] Sun says object orientation has failed

Jarvis, Robert P. (Contingent) Jarvisb at timken.com
Mon Jun 24 12:33:26 UTC 2002

> From: Sergei Gnezdov [mailto:sgnezdov at pobox.com]
>
> What does Sun say?

See http://research.sun.com/features/ace/

In short, it appears that Sun has decided that it's better to sell expensive
tools rather than give away free tools so they're now pushing an integrated
design-and-code-generator tool called Ace.  Speaking cynically here, I
suppose that the time is ripe for this - it's been about five or ten years
since the last bubble of enthusiasm for tools such as these burst, so maybe
they can make a buck or two at it.  (I note with some amusement that the
Java motto of "Write Once, Run Anywhere" has now become "Write Once, Deploy
Anywhere".  <snort!>  Given the apparent focus of Ace I fear that in
practice it will be "Write Once, Redesign Everywhere").

Bob Jarvis
Compuware @ Timken