VMMaker special change sets?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Jun 24 14:17:37 UTC 2002

>Hi -
>I have a question about VMMaker.  I'm using vm
>Squeak 3.2.7Beta6  Carbon  and an image at change set 4889.
>
>The source tree from SourceForge contains a directory
>'squeak/platforms/MacOS/vm/specialChangeSets".
>Is it standard procedure to file those change sets in
>before using VMMaker to generate source?  Those
>change sets are:
>CGeneratorEnhancements-ajh.cs
>Globalstructure-JMM.1.cs
>MoreInterpAccessors-JMM.2.cs

Ah, well you need to poke around in the MacOS/vm directory and look
at the 3.2.7 release notes and the readme text file. They aren't in
any VMMaker docs because they are mac specific. You don't need to use
these to build a VM, it's just that your VM will run 10% slower than
the VM posted on the ftp site. 10% is 10%.

>These were mentioned in previous posts, but I didn't
>see them  in the current instructions in the VMMaker and
>VMMakerTool class comments.
>I was wondering if those special-change-sets
>had been absorbed into the image, or if they were a branch
>that one always takes when preparing to generate code?
>(For instance, it seems like some of that code overlaps with
>the change sets 4865-7 (VMMaker32-7part1-3).

These are special for the mac VM because of how global variable
accessor code is generated in gcc for powerpc
(Globalstructure-JMM.1.cs + MoreInterpAccessors-JMM.2.cs).
CGeneratorEnhancements-ajh.cs originally part of the BC vm provides
better optimization for ppc and 68k machines. It's undetermined on
intel machines.

>)
>
>When I hit the 'Generate All' button after filing in the code in
>the specialChangeSets directory  I get an error - an instance of
>MacOSPowerPCOS9VMMaker tries to call the method #addExports:
>which doesn't seem to be there.
>  I figure I probably have filed in either in either too little or too much.
>Does anyone know which change set contains #addExports (or
>removes the need for it)?

Globalstructure-JMM.2.cs was added to fix a patching problem with
VMMaker. Perhaps you filed in Globalstructure-JMM.1.cs? Or a file in
order issue exists? VMMaker is part of the standard image, so you
just need to get the latest image then look at the special patchs.