Fixed 3.0 image works on Windows but not on Linux

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Jun 24 21:30:11 UTC 2002

On Monday 24 June 2002 08:51 am, se99011 at fhs-hagenberg.ac.at wrote:

> I took the standard 3.0 image of the Windows distribution, and
> since I'm connected to the web in college I loaded all fixed for
> the 3.0 image.
>
> At home, though, on my Linux system the image would not load
> correctly. There is a lot of coloured garbage on the screen, like a
> TV set only receiving nois signals.

Is your Linux system an Intel-based one? What VM are you using?

What's the bit depth of your Linux system? Run xdpyinfo, and look for:

bitmap unit, bit order, padding:    32, LSBFirst, 32
image byte order:    LSBFirst
number of supported pixmap formats:    7
supported pixmap formats:
    depth 1, bits_per_pixel 1, scanline_pad 32
    depth 4, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
    depth 8, bits_per_pixel 8, scanline_pad 32
    depth 15, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
    depth 16, bits_per_pixel 16, scanline_pad 32
    depth 24, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
    depth 32, bits_per_pixel 32, scanline_pad 32
default screen number:    0
number of screens:    1

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1400x1050 pixels (370x272 millimeters)
  resolution:    96x98 dots per inch
  depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
  root window id:    0x39
  depth of root window:    24 planes
  number of colormaps:    minimum 1, maximum 1
  default colormap:    0x20
  default number of colormap cells:    256
  preallocated pixels:    black 0, white 16777215

Try re-sizing the window. Also try changing the display depth, if you
can see the Squeak menu. You might try saving the image at a
different display depth on your Windows system.

Also try the -xshm flag when you run squeak, if you see
    MIT-SHM
in the xdpyinfo output's list of extensions.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com