Jython vs Squeak for teaching multimedia

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Tue Jun 25 07:04:44 UTC 2002

Stephane Ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> said:
>I'm still skeptical and a bit sad (I should add because I do not see =
>some=20
>real arguments.
>I do not really believe that break help understanding loops even if i=
>t=20
>seems proved).

Metoo. Given the choice of Squeak and Python to teach to non-CS students, I'd
probably do some field testing first but certainly I wouldn't land at the
Jython variant (for one thing, the lack of readline makes the thing decidedly
less usable for exploratory programming; the IDE's for Jython are crappy
AFAIK; and actually talking to Java is something I wouldn't let lose on non-CS
students because it assumes a lot of Java knowledge, and why have them learn
two languages if all you want to teach is a CS intro?).

>Mark what were the problems you encounter when teaching Squeak? I wou=
>ld=20
>really like to know your experience.

Same here.

--