3.2, Help wanted.

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Tue Jun 25 18:31:37 UTC 2002

>Dan Ingalls wrote:
>
>>[help #1] If anyone can give me a clear and complete recommendation
>>regarding the removals, I will act on it as part of the last-inch
>>activity that remains.
>>
>Regarding the obsolete MPEG stuff, it appears that everything in
>Movies-Obsolete can be removed.  Everything in that category only
>refers to other classes in that category, with the exception of
>MPEGPlayer which is referred to by BlobMPEGMorph (which itself seems
>to be a bit brain dead - trying to instantiate one of these sends
>Squeak into a tailspin where Squeak becomes unresponsive (on a P4
>1.4GHz Win2K box), the mouse cursor disappears and after a few
>minutes of random clicking and typing gives a walkback).  So maybe
>BlobMPEGPlayer can either be refactored to use MPEGFile or be
>eliminated.  It's John McIntosh's class - John, what do you think?

BlobMPEGMorph newWithMovie: 'Lamie:Squeak:mpegproduction:mpgs:lion.mpg'

That works fine.

MPEGPlayer is a class that written to allow you to play back video
frames, or play the sound from a workspace or other smalltalk object.
It is not a Morph. The other other classes were written for visual
control and display and were replaced by MPEGMoviePlayerMorph, so
MPEGPlayer should be moved into the 'Movies-Kernel' category. and
MPEGImageMorph, MPEGPlayer2, MPEGPLayerMorph, VolumeMorph can be
deleted

With MPEGPlayer you can do things like below

| foo |
form _ Form extent: 320 at 240 depth: 16.
foo _ MPEGPlayer playFile: 'randomAlien.mpg' onForm: form.
foo playAudioStreamWaitTilDone: 0.

-----------------------------------
"Ok make it simple for Video"
| foo |
form _ Form extent: 320 at 240 depth: 32.
foo _ MPEGPlayer playFile: 'randomAlien.mpg' onForm: form.
foo playVideoStreamWaitTilDone: 0.

-----------------------------------
"Play the video in the background"
| foo |
form _ Form extent: 320 at 240 depth: 16.
foo _ MPEGPlayer playFile: 'randomAlien.mpg' onForm: form.
foo playVideoStream: 0.
foo inspect.

-----------------------------------
"Play both in the background"
| foo |
form _ Form extent: 320 at 240 depth: 16.
foo _ MPEGPlayer playFile: 'randomAlien.mpg' onForm: form.
foo playStream: 0.
foo inspect.

" In Morphic do "
| foo |
form _ Form extent: 320 at 240 depth: 32.
morph _ SketchMorph withForm: form.
morph openInWorld.
foo _ MPEGPlayer playFile: 'randomAlien.mpg' onMorph: morph.
foo morph: morph.
foo playStream: 0.
foo inspect.