3.2, Help wanted. Now we're getting somewhere.

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Wed Jun 26 05:15:17 UTC 2002

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu>  wrote...

>How are new users supposed to know how to open up the minimized windows
>to see what they say? Come to that, how are they supposed to know that
>they _should_ open them. I know there is bubble help, but I doubt many
>people will spot it accidentally. How about an open window with an
>explanation of how to use the UI basics;-
>+ open/close/resize/etc windows
>+ open/select/cancel menus
>+ cmd/alt/etc keys
>+ scrollbars!

This is how I always used to do it.  I probably should go back to that approach, but with a link to the on-line info for more current details.

These and the observations below are extremely useful.  I will point out that they relate to items that have not changed in over 6 months in the 3.2 image.  Not to chastise, but just to say, that it's going to take me a bit longer than tonight to deal with them.  The high-order bit is: many thanks for this careful attention.  More like this and we'll soon have 3.2 ready to box up.

I'll try to iterate again by tomorrow evening.

> Getting Started
>What is this ReadMe.txt? Haven't seen it in quite a while. Reminds me
>that the error handling for non-found files is truly horrible.
>
> Welcome to...
>The URL for the Flash demo is no longer correct.
>The gif returned for the httpShowGif: demo is no longer one that
>includes Andreas, which seems a bit Soviet :-)
>'Development support' refers to World menu etc which probably needs
>explaining first.
>'Shrinking Squeak' refers to 3.0 and 'MajorShrinkFor3.0.cs'. Bit out
>of date as well as non-existent.
>
>>From browsing
>the SystemOrganization needs sorting properly. The bottom of the list
>has quite a bit of cruft that ought to be in other places.
>FXBlt - didn't Andreas say that had been subsumed into bitblt by now?
>Should it be removed?
>

>It's still a damn big image file. Space analysis shows 37,000 Strings,
>taking up a meg. 33,000 Symbols using 670kb! 10,000 Floats! 486
>ElementTranslation, whatever they might be. 40,000 CompiledMethods using
>2.5 Mb. 35,000 Arrays. Good Grief. So much for _Small_talk I guess.

This is progress, Tim ;-).

As soon as we ship it, we can get back to making a great lean kernel in 3.3ff.

Ciao
	- Dan