How to know where everything is

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Jun 26 09:24:29 UTC 2002

Hi Sergei and all!

Sergei Gnezdov <sergei-gnezdov-pub at pobox.com> wrote:
> I just tried to use
> 	Navigator : Find : Bobs Super Swiki
> I loaded MorphLayoutArticle
>
> I used squeak 3.2.2 and everything worked fine.
>
> For quite a while I used squeak stable 3.0 and I was not successful to load
> projects from Bobs SuperSwiki.
> How somebody new is supposed to know why things don't work and which things
> work.
> The impression I had was: ok that is some collection of staff which does
> not work.  Forget about it.

This is a problem that we are trying to solve currently in the 3.3alpha
version. In short - what we need is a "modules system" which can keep
track of dependencies and versions of code packages. This is exactly
what we are working on in the 3.3alpha stream. It will get much easier
when we have that stuff working.

But before this arrives I would do this:

1. Use 3.2gamma - yes, it is not released yet (but will be ANY DAY now.
Really. :-) but most package developers use that version as their base
currently.
2. Post on the list and ask if it is of real interest - you will most
probably get an answer.

> I am just trying to describe an impression a new person has when he tries
> to use squeak,
> because I am this person.

We know and we are sorry. But please don't let it get you down - just
ask on the list! :-) And of course - advice and ideas about how we can
improve everything is welcome. There are quite a lot coming down the
pipe in the 3.3alpha though.

regards, Göran