[GOODIE] DrawingInspector-nk

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Jun 26 12:14:27 UTC 2002

Hi Ned and all!

This is really neat stuff. I have been longing for something like this
since the "Visual inspector" goodie I used in VisualWorks 1.0 (If my
memory serves)!

One little thing though - could you perhaps add some little "switch"
somewhere so that you could get some other smaller morph to represent
the objects instead of the InspectorWindows?

If you are digging down into a complex object you would actually be
satisfied with a circle and the class name inside it (or something
equally small and simple). It would be really cool if you could "switch
over" to a mode where these smaller "circles" are used and then perhaps
add a little menu to them so that you can "turn them back" into
inspector windows.

If you refined this a bit then this could really become a major tool in
Squeak. The possibilities are endless - for example, these little morphs
could visualize when the inspected object gets a message - arrow
lighting up to show the sender (if it was one of the objects visible)
etc. (using wrappers and a little DNU magic it would be easy to
implement I guess).

Having such a "drawing" up on your model while running the debugger on
the side with flashing and other small visual cues would really... rock!

Such visual facilities should turn Mark Guzdial into a drooling fool :-)
since it would really visualize objects in action for students.

"Kudos" to a great framework.

regards, Göran