Jython vs Squeak for teaching multimedia

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 26 16:30:05 UTC 2002

On Tuesday, June 25, 2002, at 08:39  PM, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
> You really *cannot* call Java or C++ syntax obvious either.
> Isn't there a saying "if it wasn't arcane, it wouldn't be C?"

No, sir, I'm not making that claim.  I am making the claim that
Python/Jython has a syntax that seems to be easier for non-CS-major
novices than Squeak.  I don't have empirical evidence to back that up
yet, just arguments based on others' work.  I'd like to get to the point
where I can do those kinds of tests.

>  3. People WANT to learn it.
>
> For us at any rate (and for RMIT, who found themselves forced to switch
> from Ada to Java *despite* the existence of Ada->JVM compilers) point 3
> is the biggie.  Java may be lame and daft, and it may be a real PAIN to
> use it compared with Smalltalk, but if people WANT to learn Java and
> DON'T want to learn Smalltalk, guess what they'll learn?

ABSOLUTELY!!!  That's the most important point!  Learning computing is
*hard*!  Motivation is our most powerful ally.  Play to the motivation
to make progress.

Mark