VMMaker special change sets?

Jay Hardesty jayh at panix.com
Wed Jun 26 23:52:13 UTC 2002

Hello -

Thanks very much for all the previous responses and
info about using VMMaker.

I've now been through the vm building cycle several times,
following the directions in platforms/Mac OS/vm/readme.
In order to compile these were the only deviations I had
to make from the instructions

interp.c:
Added:
	#undef bool
because there are variables named bool.

Cross/plugins/sqOldSoundPrims.c
Replaced:
	extern int stackValue(int);
	extern int successFlag;
with:
	extern struct VirtualMachine* interpreterProxy;
	#define stackValue(i) (interpreterProxy->stackValue(i))
	#define successFlag (!interpreterProxy->failed())

With these changes it compiles a vm.  I run the VM, and
it asks for an image to run (if I haven't dragged one onto it),
but then no Squeak window appears - the only sign of
Squeak running at that point is that the vm appears in the
dock, and Squeak puts up a File menu with the choice
"Quit don't save"  (just like usual).

Any idea what I need to do to get the Squeak window
to appear, or perhaps where I could most fruitfully
place breakpoints to try to trap the error?

I'm pretty sure I'm filing in the proper special change
sets, running gnuify, etc.   There were a few points
where I made guesses - in Step Five of
platforms/Mac OS/vm/readme   there's a line of text
that looks like it got truncated - I think it was meant to
say what directory SqueakVMForCarbon.pbproj should
be  dragged to.  I'm assuming this doesn't matter that
much though as long as I've got all the right files
from platforms/Mac OS, platforms/Cross/, src/vm,
src/plugins installed in ProjectBuilder via the Add Files..
menu command.

Related confusion in Step Six of the readme where it
says:  Project/Add Files ... "GeniePlugin.c to Sources.
Does this really mean that GeniePlugin.c gets special
treatment?  I found a GeniePlugin.c in src/plugins/GeniePlugin
which was of course one of a number of plugins.  I'm assuming
that the point is just to make sure that the source files in
all of those plugins (aside from the ones left out like
FileCopy, etc) are loaded into ProjectBuilder?  Anyway
I just treated GeniePlugin like all the others.

Thanks again for any advice,
Jay
jayh at panix.com