How do you print?

Jeff Bowman jeff at dvns.com
Fri Mar 1 16:09:46 UTC 2002

"Richard A. O'Keefe" <ok at cs.otago.ac.nz> writes:

> Jeff Bowman <jeff at dvns.com> wrote:
> 	... I need to be able to print to a printer.  The printer is
> 	most likely not a postscript printer, and it is most likely on a
> 	Windows computer (I happen to use Linux:) I can't find anything
> 	like a PrintStream or other object which would encapsulate
> 	printing to a printer.
>
> Ghostscript is available for Windows, so you may be able to print
> Postscript on the machine anyway.

hmmm didn't know that... thanks for the tip.

> 	I have text (no graphcs at the moment but there will be in the
> 	future) to print which I can format as I like.  I need to be
> 	able to create a button that says 'Print' the user can press and
> 	get a report.
>
> OSProcess is being ported to the Windows environment, so a two-stage
> process where you save the text (and later, graphics) as an HTML file
> and then fire up Netscape to print it might work.

Yeah, I've been thinking about doing something like this until I
figured out the print thing.  Just for my edification, what is
OSProcess and it's importance in the current discussion? (I'm still
learning a lot)

> 	I've tried browsing and searching for print, printer, printing on the
> 	swiki, but no luck so far.
>
> Printing is coming Real Soon Now; people are working on it.

:)

Cool, I really like squeak with what I have seen so far.  And the
support is fantastic.  I realize you said RSN, but is there a goal
(3.3, 3.4, 4.0, whatever) where printing is likely to appear? Just
curious that's all.

Jeff
wolfjb
--