About SqueakRos News

Martín Altobello martin_altobello at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Mar 5 16:18:43 UTC 2002

Greetings and Salutations,

I am writing you from Rosario city, Argentina (you may have heard of us in CNN - yes, the country that had 5 presidents in 15 days). As cracy as it may sound, "we" - a group of professors and graduate students from - so far - two different Universities have gotten together to create a research initiative.

And thus, since last week, SqueakRos is born: A Smalltalk/Squeak research initiative, made of people who have the Object Oriented Paradigm in the heart.

We may not have the best hardware, we maybe "international parias" (have you tried buying a book in amazon.com when your currency is at a 2 to 1 ratio to the US dollar? - and all your money is trapped inside the banks), but we have good intentions and the desire of betterment.

Though because of the current situation of our country we are having some difficulties in getting official support from our Faculties - the Universidad Abierta InterAmericana,  Facultad de Tecnología Informática, and the Universidad Tecnológica Nacional, sede Regional Rosario - we hope that for the next year (and more!) we will be researching Squeak and its basts posibilities, aiming to developt an easy to use and at hand spanish documentation.

As time goes on, we aspire to get inside Squeak and maybe even contribute in some way to its international comunity - whithin our own humble posibilities.

On a personal note, I'd like to thank you all for making Squeak "free for everybody to use". Education is the best social "equalizer", and in times like this, in our country, education is all we have left. And the dream that one day our effords will lead to a better dignifying life. I believe Squeak is a great tool for archieving that.

In previous ocassions I've written to this list with "personal questions". In the future I may be adressing you as a member of SqueakRos, with the group's questions and news.

I do know you all are very busy people so I'll be finishing up.

Once again, I thank you and wish you to keep on with your good work.

Martín Altobello
SqueakRos initiative