Document Crafting, Objectively

Kevin Fisher kgf at golden.net
Thu Mar 7 15:24:42 UTC 2002

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 06:54:53AM -0800, Alan Kay wrote:
> Ian Piumarta in the past has done various versions of TEX and (I
> think) LaTEX in some version of Smalltalk (maybe VisualWorks).
>
> I think the TEX constraint solver is great, but it really needs a UI
> to allow WYSIWYG editing rather than the 1960s (bad) style of markup
> editing. (Remember WYSIWYG doesn't mean closed format. That's just
> the way MS decided to do it.)

:) Yes, TeX/LaTeX markup can be quite confounding.  For the longest time
I couldn't figure out how to make a simple '\' character (every other
odd character seems to have it's own escape character, but not '\'!)

I'm certainly not against WYSIWYG at all...but I really like the
option of a self-structuring kind of document, similar to what
LaTeX provides.  I spent a couple years working with LyX before I learned
LaTeX and although it was odd at first, having the structure magically
taken care of made a lot of sense after a while.

> It would be terrific to have such a solver with an integrated editor
> as an central part of Squeak's layout powers.
>
> Let's drag some of these good ideas kicking and screaming into the
> 21st century (or at least the 70s).

That would be fabulous, exactly the sort of "itch" that needs scratching.
Without the archaic markup, of course... :)