Can't get new VM to work... [VMMAKER]

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 7 18:56:41 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Well, I decided to take the plunge and try the VMMaker again.
> I followed the instructions on the Swiki; got the following change sets:
>
> ConsolidateTo4744-JMM.4.cs
> VMMaker-3-2-version5.5.cs
>
> then got the entire squeak and CVSROOT trees from CVS.
>
> Then I started up a 3.2g-4743 image, loaded in the change sets, set up some
> plugins as internal and some external, and generated sources into a clean
> squeak/src directory. I compiled all the plugins that I could.
>
> In a clean build directory, I ran configure and make. Despite lots of
> warnings, everything compiled OK.
I've just tried downloading and rebuilding and it won't even build at
the moment.

Apparently somebody recently changed:-
sq.h
many unix makefile thingies
unix's sqPlatformSpecific.h
sqUnixMozilla.c
sqXWindow.c

Errors I get include:-

in sqUnixMisc.c an implicit declaration of memcpy within
sqFilenameFromStringOpen

in sqUnizMozilla.x a couple of mild looking warnings

in sqXWindow.c an implicit declaration of function DPRINT (which is
suppsed to be a macro!)  in openXDisplay
 - a 'too many arguments for format' on line 3963
 - long int complaint s on lines 4143 & 4144

in BitBltPlugin.c many warnings about ignoring a pragma, which I've not
noticed before.
 - on line 1199 a complaint about reaching the end of a non-void
 function ?? Actually, quite a few of those.

in LargeIntegersPlugin.c many similar problems

in gnu-interp.c many warnings about reaching the end of a non-void
function, possibly uninitialised variables, unused variables, unused
labels. Hundreds of them!

in sqUnixMozilla.o (during linking I guess) undefined references to
fileRecordSize, fileValueOf & sqFileOpen.

So who altered sqXWindow.c and sqUnixMozilla recently?

C'mon folks, take a little more care when inflicting your code on
others.

tim

I modem, but they grew back.