Can't get new VM to work... [VMMAKER]

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 7 21:17:43 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> This time it didn't even finish compiling. Apparently sqUnixMozilla.o is now
> considered a core module, and it depends on the FilePlugin, which I didn't
> compile.
The code I carefully put into sqUnixMozilla.c to handle getting access
to the FilePlugin functions it needs was #ifdeffed out. That explains
the worst part of the building problems. By accidental happenstance it
will still link IFF the FilePlugin is compiled as internal, since it
gets linked to the core vm.

The comment in the area refers to problems loading - loading what, when,
why? It's been working for several months as a normal vm; is there
something nasty about being a plugin that affects this?

If we #define FILEPLUGIN_EXTERNAL in line 249 it seems to make things
a lot better for now.

> $ grep implicit errors.err
> ../squeak/platforms/unix/vm/sqXWindow.c:4146: warning: implicit declaration
> of function `DPRINT'
This is less of a problem once sqUnixMozilla builds ok - though it ought
to be declared properly if it is going to be used. I also rather think
it should be defined in a more general file...

> ../squeak/platforms/Cross/plugins/FilePlugin/sqFilePluginBasicPrims.c:82:
> warning: implicit declaration of function `ftello'
> ../squeak/platforms/Cross/plugins/FilePlugin/sqFilePluginBasicPrims.c:186:
> warning: implicit declaration of function `fseeko'
> gnu-interp.c:2086: warning: implicit declaration of function `fseeko'
> gnu-interp.c:19416: warning: implicit declaration of function `ftello'
These are ok, but again they ought to be declared properly. I suspect
that that is my fault.

[snip]
> And now I'm back to the same errors with Floats.
>
> Has anyone actually recently built this on Linux in a clean directory
> hierarchy from a stock image?
>
> If so, how did you do it?
I have just done the whole process (with the #define hack mentioned
above) and made a linux x86 vm that works just fine. No Float problem.

Duh? Are you on a x86 or a PPC? The only thing that comes to mind is
that somehow your config process is making the wrong conclusion about
Float endianess.

tim
Thrashing is just virtual crashing.