Can't get new VM to work... [VMMAKER]

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Mar 7 21:20:00 UTC 2002

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:
>
> > Well, I decided to take the plunge and try the VMMaker again.
> > I followed the instructions on the Swiki; got the following change sets:
> >
> > ConsolidateTo4744-JMM.4.cs
> > VMMaker-3-2-version5.5.cs
> >
> > then got the entire squeak and CVSROOT trees from CVS.
> >
> > Then I started up a 3.2g-4743 image, loaded in the change sets, set up some
> > plugins as internal and some external, and generated sources into a clean
> > squeak/src directory. I compiled all the plugins that I could.
> >
> > In a clean build directory, I ran configure and make. Despite lots of
> > warnings, everything compiled OK.
> I've just tried downloading and rebuilding and it won't even build at
> the moment.
>
> Apparently somebody recently changed:-
> sq.h
> many unix makefile thingies
> unix's sqPlatformSpecific.h
> sqUnixMozilla.c
> sqXWindow.c
>
> Errors I get include:-

These are *warnings*, not errors. I just added -Wall so we can get these
fixed: if they bother you, just remove the flag.

> in sqUnixMisc.c an implicit declaration of memcpy within
> sqFilenameFromStringOpen
>
> in sqUnizMozilla.x a couple of mild looking warnings
>
> in sqXWindow.c an implicit declaration of function DPRINT (which is
> suppsed to be a macro!)  in openXDisplay
>  - a 'too many arguments for format' on line 3963
>  - long int complaint s on lines 4143 & 4144
>
> in BitBltPlugin.c many warnings about ignoring a pragma, which I've not
> noticed before.
>  - on line 1199 a complaint about reaching the end of a non-void
>  function ?? Actually, quite a few of those.
>
> in LargeIntegersPlugin.c many similar problems
>
> in gnu-interp.c many warnings about reaching the end of a non-void
> function, possibly uninitialised variables, unused variables, unused
> labels. Hundreds of them!
>
> in sqUnixMozilla.o (during linking I guess) undefined references to
> fileRecordSize, fileValueOf & sqFileOpen.

Yep, that's a bug - i always build everything internally, that's why I
didn't see that one.

> So who altered sqXWindow.c and sqUnixMozilla recently?
>
> C'mon folks, take a little more care when inflicting your code on
> others.

I just did a complete build, it works fine. I'll look into the external
plugin stuff, now.

-- Bert