Can't get new VM to work... [VMMAKER]

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 7 23:07:54 UTC 2002

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> I can do simple things in the Emergency Evaluator like:
>
> 1.23 < 4.56
> true
>
> but when I go to print a Float it blows up.

This is horribly reminiscent of a problem I had six years ago getting
Squeak to run on Acorn. The Float printing stuff was causing an overflow
of some sort (I'm sorry I really can't remember much more) during the
derivation of the digits to print. My eventual solution was to
explicitly set the FP emulator to not throwing exceptions for NaNs and
IVOs.

Maybe gcc 3 (isn't that still in alpha?) has changed how floats are
handled. After all, they soundly screwed things up for 2.9-something on
ARM; maybe they decided to be compatible across all cpus?

tim
Strange OpCodes: FR: Flip Record