Windows 2000

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Fri Mar 8 17:44:38 UTC 2002

On Fri, 08 Mar 2002 10:31:22 -0600 "Blaine Buxton" <blainebuxton at hotmail.com> wrote:
>I selected the word "MessageTally" in the workspace (the workspace where I
>ran the above code) and then from the workspace menu selected "explore it".
>I know Squeak keeps track of every thing in the changes log and I'm
>wondering if my virus protection is not causing me problems when Squeak
>writes to it.

Hmm.. when you do-it (inspect-it, explore-it, etc) the expression gets written to changes AND the file gets closed to ensure data is written cleanly. This closing does not happen on normal method updates. I'm guessing that the close alerts the virus detection to see if something nasty has been created. Since changes is really big and the other test file you used was really small, that may explain the differences in time to run. Why not try creating a 20 megabyte file and time how long it takes to open, write a byte and close?

>Is there anyway for me to turn off the changes log for anything but code
>changes?

Not in a simple way, but you could look at senders of #logChange: to see how little snippets get written and maybe hack one or two of these out.

Cheers,
Bob