[Q][Celeste] address book and auto-save

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Mar 11 14:47:21 UTC 2002

> I am now using Celeste full time at home and it works really well, minus
> a few hiccups.

Cool.  Serious users might want to try Filtering Celeste.  It extends

	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2091

If all the other Celeste users gang up and decide they really hate this
filtering thing, then let's change it even though I find it pretty neat.
 I'd rather have a Smalltalk email client that is actually used, than a
really neat Smalltalk client no one can figure out.

On the other hand, don't play with Filtering Celeste right now if you
aren't willing to live with an occasional bug.  You are very unlikely to
lose any email, but you are quite likely to have it do something strange
or unexpected.

> Here are the questions I have:
>
> 1) I was wondering if someone had an integrated address book for it.

I seem to recall someone playing with this....  Anyone?

> 2) AutoFilters.  Is there a way to create a rule, such that squeak mail
> goes to the squeak folder.

The way I do this, is to have a named filter for Squeak-list messages.
Then I can activate that filter and  do "file all" to put 100 messages
at a time into the folder.  That's pretty fast, even if it's not
automatic.  Too much automation is a bad thing; the next thing you'll
want is an indication to tell you what the automatic device just did....

Incidentally, with filters, you don't really need a category for Squeak
list email.  You can just run the Squeak list filter across your entire
database.

All that said, there is or was some sort of auto-move functionality in
Celeste.  I never used it and never understood the point, if you've got
filters instead.

> 3) unread message highlighting?

No.  A good way to do this would be to have "read" and "unread"
categories, and to have messages automatically filed into it when you
read them.  Then you could filter for unread messages.

(Unfortunately, there is no way to negate a filter right now.  You can't
say "show me messages *NOT* in the 'read' category")

> 4) Is there a way to auto-save after downloading?  I was having trouble
> with my image and so I lost about 10 emails

It does autosave after download.  Try looking in category unclassified".
  Overall, Celeste is extremely protective of the messages file.  I've
never lost a single message in over three years.  I *have* lost the
categories that messages were store in a time or two.

By the way, Filtered Celeste has some other features nowadays:

	1. Very fast saves.  (The logging index file idea has been taken
further.)

	2. Safe behavior on image save and reload.  On image restart, the mail
files aren't read if they haven't changed -- which is a huge time
savings.  You can save your image with Celest open, now, and thus don't
need to ever save using the menu item in Celeste.

	3. You can open multiple Celeste windows now, and have different
filters in each one.  (This is new, and it has the same unfortunate
updating problem that browsers in Smalltalk 80 had.)

> 5) nested categories?

No.  It would be nice, though.  The menu for selecting a category has
gotten quite long on my machine!

-Lex