[BUG] String asURL fails

Dave Hylands dhylands at broadcom.com
Mon Mar 11 17:02:31 UTC 2002

> > > DOS "system calls" have always allowed BOTH \ AND /
> > > as delimiters.
> > > AFAIK this is still true in Windows.
> >
> > DOS and Windows have always internally accepted \ and
> > /. The command line interpretor, however, only accepts \.
>
> "The" command line interpreter?  There have been several ports of
> UNIX-like shells to DOS.

By "the" command line interpreter I was referring to command.com or cmd.exe,
which are the command line interpreters that come with DOS/Windows et al.

Obviously, third party command line intepreters are free to parse their
arguments as they choose. Personally, I use bash (with cygwin) on my Win2K
box.

> > Also note that under windows filenames of the form:
> >
> > \\server\share\directory\file or //server/share/directory/file
> > are also perfectly legal.
>
> They were also legal in DOS.

I suspected as much, but had never used them in that context so I wasn't
sure.

Dave Hylands