Connection error

Andreas Kuckartz a.kuckartz at dokom.net
Tue Mar 12 10:20:42 UTC 2002

I did a few additional experiments.

It does not help (my system) to establish the dial-up connection after
starting Squeak. It must be established before the VM is started.

Even stranger is that Socket class>>ping: does not work correctly.

Strangest is that
   Socket pingPortsOn: 'www.nsi.com'
answers
   #('ftp' 'smtp' 'http')
instead of
   #('echo' 'ftp' 'smtp' 'http')

Windows 2000's ping-software works receives echo replies for www.nsi.com.
(There seems to be no echo process running on www.disney.com)

I did not find a single domain for which 'echo' was included in the list.

Andreas

BTW: normally I am running ZoneAlarm but I disabled it for these
experiments.