Need teaching ideas

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Tue Mar 12 22:09:28 UTC 2002

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Alan Kay wrote:

> Donald --
>
> The Squeak from squeak.org is not at all set up for children. But it
> does have the etoys authoring environment for children. You can find
> out about it and get the downloads that we use at our schools from
> squeakland.org.

> In any case, most people of any age who have never programmed before
> will find the etoys much easier, fun and productive than the raw
> expert environment. I urge you to use it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan

I agree. The out-of-the box Squeak is not configured yet for children and
persons who never did programming before.

I just joined the Squeakland list
http://www.squeakland.org/join/index.html

That list is definitvely not overcrowded. But at least the members of
Squeak Central seem to be there - and Mark Guzdial.

The list archive:
http://www.squeakland.org/listarchive/squeakland/mail3.html

I would like to invite other interested members from here to join there
too so that we could do discussions in the sense of the mail I just sent in:
configuring Squeak, using Morphic in direct manipulation mode, doing
etoy programming.

Among some other things my topic with the highest priority at the
moment is using Squeak as an authoring system for "presentations" or
"active essays". The focus is as well on doing them _fast_!

This involves configuring Squeak, adding additional flaps,
populating them with other morphs like the bullet list morph
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2141 (perhaps done in a more e-toy like
style) and other things.

Cheers
Hannes Hirzel