PPS: [FIX][OSProcess][Unix][VMMaker] OSProcessFix-sr v2.0

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed Mar 13 13:48:26 UTC 2002

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, David T. Lewis wrote:

> That's amazing, I never would have figured this out! I get exactly
> the same result on my system: Run Squeak with the -xshm command line
> option, open a "Squeak shell", run a command that generates output on
> stderr, and <BOOM>, stack dump.

This also is discovered by running "UnixProcess runTests". Which also
points at a problem with PipeableOSProcess: it is undeclared?

Actually, CommandShell and IOHandle are undeclared, too. You shouldn't
just use the class names in the code but something like
"Smalltalk classNamed: 'CommandShell'".

OIC. These come from the CommandShell changeset. It would be nice to
decouple both (as, I guess, you intended).

> I think that this is going to be some obscure problem in sqXWindow.c,
> but it will be a hard bug to find. Whatever the problem is, at least
> it is repeatable now.

It is just not a good idea to call shmExit() in the child.

Also, you should be using _exit() instead of exit() when exec() failed,
because the latter calls the atexit functions which harm the running
image.

I'll attach a changeset. Do I get a T-Shirt now? :-)

-- Bert

PS: David: I don't think it is a great idea to start plugin translation in
the postscript of a changeset. Also, if there was no OSProcessPlugin
before, inspecting the current process makes little sense.

Stefan: And removing the security check is not a good idea, either. Why
did you do this?