Extracting native code from C

Lee Salzman lee.salzman at lvdi.net
Wed Mar 13 18:37:56 UTC 2002

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 10:31:20AM -0800, Tim Rowledge wrote:
> Oh, yes, there is another approach to this kind of thing, and there is a
> partial solution available already.
>
> Write a slang->machine code comiler in Squeak and add support prims to
> do all that cush-flaching stuff. We had a working ARM version at
> Interval and the code is on my website for anyone interested (Lee
> Salzman is playing with it for example) in trying to make it more
> portable.

   That's not entirely accurate. Squeampiler is a completey independent
codebase (written completely in Squeak and for Squeak, of course).
However, it is vastly more portable. It does ALL optimization
at the level of a target independent representation (even register
allocation), and does a number of cool optimizations that were absent
in the translator that are found in the industrial grade compilers,
and will do even more when it is done. If someone would like to
collaborate with me on making it more suitable for dynamic compilation
(brainstorming, code, whatever), I'd appreciate the mindshare. :)

> http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim/pooters/SqFiles/deltas and look for
> 'translator' or something like that.
>
> tim
> --
> Fractured Idiom:- L'ETAT, C'EST MOE - All the world's a stooge

    Lee Salzman