an issues with fonts, or accufonts yet again.

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Mar 13 22:07:26 UTC 2002

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> Should have been done ages ago; let's work to get it done Real Soon Now.

Agreed.

As far as I can tell, there are no obstacles to adding these fonts now.  The original author has apparently agreed to license them under Squeak-L, which is all that matters.

It's been argued that bitmap fonts are unprotectible by law (see the end of http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1849), so in that sense adding these license-clean accufonts may be overkill.  But I think there may be some value in being able to state that "Yes, the original Apple fonts were removed, and they were replaced with these hand-crafted fonts created by so-and-so, so we *know* that they're not just copies of the old Apple fonts."  Plus, there's no harm in adding these fonts even if it is overkill license-wise.

- Doug Way
  dway at riskmetrics.com