Introduction

Hannes Hirzel hirzel at spw.unizh.ch
Wed Mar 13 16:55:46 UTC 2002

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> > I'd also like to get some guidelines on the process of creating a minimal
> > image.
>
> The Swiki has pages on this - it's kindof messy right now. I tried the
> other day in the latest 3.2gamma and got down to about 5.5Mb but then I
> still had Morphic. I don't know how far you can go. A word of advice:
> This stuff might need some experience - but hey, you can always try it.

I'm partly responsible for that messieness - I'am aware that many of the
pages are just notes and _drafts_.
I collected various bits and pieces from the list and put them on the
swiki. A part of the problem is that the tips are for different versions
of Squeak. However I'm willing to clarify things if there are clear cut
questions.

Some days ago I did an experiment as well of doing a small image (around
6MB). A solution could be people publish these shrinking scripts under
headings of the form

Image configuration case YYYY-MM-DD:

In the body  we state what is the goal of the reduced image and what
are the open problems. Other people can then use this scripts and
put test result there as well.

I'm somewhat reluctant to publish my script because I don't
really now what things are still working. I had to tweak a script because
some message sends are done with perform: (aSeletorPart,
anotherSelectorPart) asSymbol, so the message sends don't show up in the
image which makes shrinking a bit difficult. I as well use a
MiniScriptingSystem Scott Wallace once recommend on this list.

> If nobody else answers and you can't find enough info yourself I might
> be able to whip my workspace experiments into a script.

Yes please do it; see above.

regards

Hannes