[BUG] why is frame rate in 3.2.5 slower?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Mar 14 04:38:27 UTC 2002

>I haven't been following this discussion in detail, but this sounds
>like it might be working with the primordial Mac 'ticks' (60/sec)
>time unit. I don't suppose there's a newer (OS X?) timer API that
>isn't limited to tick resolution?
>
>-Martin

For historical reasons there are three clocks in Squeak. The
macintosh VM provides two:

a) A high resolution call based on the powerpc RTC (Real time clock)
	tied to cpu hertz, say microsecond or better.
	(or attempt at similar high resolution feature for 68k).
	How this is called is different between os-9 and os-x
	(A matter of cost for carbon or macho or bsd calls)

b) A low resolution timer based on tickcount (1/60), or a pthread
wait_cond logic beast emulating the mac carbon extended time manger
that fires every 16ms and fetchs the high resolution counter.

c) The third timer is mapped to the high resolution timer.

Now that's the theory, but there is always room for confusion and
mistakes. From time to time I prod it with a stick and I see what
happens. Just to help things behave differently between flavors of OS
7.5.5 thru 9.2.x

I'll hunt further tonight, mostly because the original logic in check
for Interrupts I wrote *should* have ensured this routine is called
every 5ms or so.
But that's not happening.